October 16, 2010

It's an itch we know we ain't gonna scratch.


Click on the picture to see it in its hairy glory... if you dare, that is.


6 years ago, I had a very itchy and scratchy encounter with a higad. (At the risk of sounding conyotic, I just had to use that word. It's just not the same if I say, "caterpillar.")

Despite spending my primary, elementary, and high school years at a school that was very higad-popular, I never had any encounter with the hairy creature. Not once. But one afternoon in 2004, I was quietly minding my own business under the leafy trees (yeah, yeah, I know) at my university when suddenly I saw one crawling on my pant leg. I automatically brushed it off with my left hand. Ooooh, wrong move.

It took only a few minutes for me to feel the effect on my leg and on my hand. "Itchy" is not enough to describe it. It's not enough to describe how annoying, distressing, and painful it was. How can such a small creature cause so much discomfort? Ugh. I made a mental note to be extra careful next time.

Yet here I am, 6 years later, camera in hand, trying to get as close as I can to the little creature that caused me almost excruciating pain -- all in the hopes of getting one good shot of it. Huh.

Oh, did I mention that I like metaphors?

No comments:

Post a Comment